Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sneaky Like a Fox

The start of our weekend began with the realization that we lost 9 chickens during a midnight fox raid of the coop. I was surprised by how devastated I felt when I learned of the massacre, and was thankful I was not the one who discovered the poor chickens.

In response to this murder scene at the farm, my Poultry Partner in Crime and I double-layered electric fencing around our coop, electrocuting ourselves in the process. Okay, it was my big bootie that accidentally bumped into the live wire fence behind the coop and wound up sending the current from my ass to Poor Leigh. It was pretty darn hysterical though, once we recovered from from the buzzing heat coarsing through our bodies. I am fairly certain I also transferred the electric to one of the goats as well, but they act so goofy anyway its hard to determine the root of the freak out.

Earlier this week, we ordered 20 turkey chicks that will arrive on June 28th! We intend to raise them organically and share with friends and family for the holidays. Should be interesting.

In light of our reduced flock, I have decided we should replace the fallen with a rare assortment of "Rainbow Egg Layers" soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment